Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Importance of Primary Elections
       
I think the independent voter needs to pay more attention and be more active in primary elections.  I often hear that the independents determine who wins an election.  I think that is true, but unfortunately the independents too often do not get involved in the primaries which determine who is on the ballot in the general election. 
Does this mean the party candidate is not the best choice for the ballot in the general election?  Maybe it is a party favorite, or someone that has been loyal to the party in the past.  This person may not be the best choice for the independent voter or the good of the country. 
In our recent election Romney was the Republican candidate for President.  In Wisconsin, past Governor Thompson was the Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate.  I am certainly not saying either was a bad candidate, but I will say neither would have been my first or even second choice.  Were there many independents that felt the same way?  Would it have made a difference in the general election? 
Some of our states always vote for one party or the other.  I think this is ridiculous, but it seems to be a fact.  I agree with my Dad’s philosophy of voting for the person and not the party.  In these states, if someone is not involved in the primary, they have no say in determining what elected official will represent them.
Both good and bad points can be made for or against our two party system, but if the independent voter does not get involved in the primary electrons, they are diluting the power of their vote.  Get informed, get active, and vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment