Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Django Unchained
       
I recently went to see the movie Django Unchained.  I don’t go the many movies in the theater anymore, but Marla was going to see Les Miserables, which I did not want to see due to my lack of musical appreciation.  I had seen Les Miserables on the stage and once was enough for me.   Dhjanco Unchained ran at the same time as Les Miserables so it worked out well for us. 
Dhjanco Unchained was set in the south just prior to the start of the Civil War, and since I am a student of our American western history from 1860 to 1890, I decided to see the movie.  The movie had the potential to be a good movie.  It dealt with the abusive treatment some slaves received in the south prior to the Civil War, and bounty hunters.   Both existed in this time period, but I sincerely hope they both were the exception rather than the rule.
The movie could have been good if 90% of the killing and 95% of the blood had been removed.  People were killed with revolvers, rifles, derringers, shotguns, knives, explosives, clubs, hammers, and dogs.  It was so disgusting that I considered walking out and probably would have if I did not have to wait for Marla anyway.  Great liberties were also taken with the accuracy and reliability of the revolvers of the day.
I would certainly not recommend this movie.  Obviously people buy tickets to this kind of movie or they wouldn’t make them.  What is wrong with our movie industry and the people that go to the movies? 
I am not a gamer, but I understand some electronic games are just as full of killing and blood.  This cannot be good for any young person or anyone that is mentally unstable in any way.  Some people try to restrict smoking and drinking on TV, but killing, blood, gore, and drugs are OK, and even glorified.  What is wrong with our society?
Let’s deal with the many real causes of violent killing like showing and possibly promoting violent killing in movies and games.  Let’s not lose focus by thinking more gun regulations will, or even could make a difference.  Most of the proposed gun legislation will only affect the sane, law-abiding people, and grow the size and control of government without stopping or even reducing the problem.  Let’s be realistic, criminals and mentally unstable people don’t care about the law.
I am not advocating legislation against making or showing this type of violent movie or game.  That would be a violation of the First Amendment, but I understand some people think it is OK to violate the Second Amendment. 
It is impossible to legislate morality or common sense.  Maybe it is time we all try to promote personal responsibility, parental responsibility, Christian morality, and business ethics. 


No comments:

Post a Comment