Tuesday, August 6, 2013

It's Complicated

          This seems to be a commonly used term recently.  What does it mean?  Some terms that could replace it are; I intentionally concealed things from you, I deceived you, I wasn’t honest with you, I covered up the facts, I lied to you, I lied about the cover-up.  Why would someone do this?  Are they just dishonest?  Do they put their personal interests above others?  Are they cheats or crooks?
        This type of behavior is becoming more and more prevalent in my opinion.  What has happened to being honest, a good work ethic, and Christian morality?  I think there is still a place for all of these in today’s society.
        I recently heard a Progressive say there has been fraud and corruption in government since the birth of this country.  I can’t say I disagree with that statement, but if that is true, what idiot would be in favor of big government?
        In the Customer Service chapter of my book, Business Fits: How to find the right business for you! I talk about never lying to a customer as one of the two most important points of good customer service.  The other one is giving the customer a prompt reply.  We can be honest in business and be successful. 
        My dad put a great deal of pride in his Word. He farmed the farm I was raised on for sixteen years.  He never had a written lease after the first year.  The next fifteen years were done on a handshake.  I wish we could do business like that today.  There are circumstances where we can with the right customer service.
         Some people think there are special circumstances that justify lying.  Some people expect and accept politicians lying?  Some people think all car salespeople lie and thus it is okay to lie to a car salesperson.  I give some great examples from when I was a new car dealer in my book, Business Fits.
I have four sons.  The youngest is named Adam.  Adam and his fiancé were parking in downtown Fort Collins, Colorado when Adam saw a bundle in the gutter.  When he picked it up he discovered it was $3,000 with an adding machine tape wrapped around it.  Adam briefly thought of keeping it, but turned it in to the police. 
        At the bed and breakfast one morning before Adam’s wedding, the boyfriend of his future mother-in-law was telling the story.  He concluded with, “Would you believe, the dumb kid turned it in to the police?”  He then pointed at me and said, “I blame you for that.”  I considered it a very nice compliment, although I’m not sure that’s how he meant it.
        The money was never claimed and Adam did later receive the money.  It was probably from some illegal activity.  I was very proud of my son.  Honesty is rewarded in many ways. 
        We can be honest and moral in business and we should accept nothing less from our elected officials and appointed bureaucrats.  If we don’t control and limit the power of the government we will eventually have a political elite ruling class. 

2 comments:

  1. Sadly, we've become accepting of dishonesty as the norm for our government and our politicians.
    No one wants to get involved. No one wants the truth. We are too lazy to become knowledgeable, choosing instead to glean all our knowledge from a very biased media.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is more honesty in the world than we care to point out. Just mention the word 'integrity' in a business meeting and watch the change in behavior among the group. While we may be distracted at times, we are moral individually and immoral in an established process. The difficult part is figuring out who will always act like an individual and who will act as part of an established process.

    ReplyDelete