Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Capitalization

        Adequate capital is essential for any business; lack of capital is the number one cause of business failure.  A minimum investment is required in order to compete in the marketplace.
        This is especially true for new business startups.  One of the myths addressed in Business Fits is “Start small and grow.”  This seldom works.  The idea of growing a business out of profits doesn’t work.  Growth requires additional capitalization. 
        When I bought a Ford/Mercury dealership, my capitalization was under Ford’s guidelines.  I could not see where I would use all the capital.  I found out in less than ninety days.  The dealership was in bad shape when I bought it.  It was easy to improve the business and we tripled business in three months. 
        This rapid growth created such demands on capital that we could have been out of business in four months.  As with most automobile dealerships, the local banks are not large enough to provide all the necessary financing.  I was getting calls from my banker that he had received a sight draft and we were over our credit limit and overdrawn.  Luckily, I had silent investors that were initially aware of this potential problem and had the deep pockets needed to provide additional capital.  
        I advise new business startups to project all potential costs.  Then go back and revise the estimates to the high side anticipating maximum delays.  Then double the total and it will probably still be low. 
        Franchising is successful partially because a good franchisor will not award a franchise to a franchisee that is undercapitalized.  I have heard entrepreneurs say they would not buy a franchise because they can do the same thing cheaper on their own.  This is not true and is a recipe for failure. 
        Private sector business requires capital.  Unlike big government, money is not unlimited.   Private businesses cannot just tax, borrow, and spend like there is no reckoning in the future.  I hope we are getting rid of the political elite with this attitude.    

        God bless President Trump and guide him to make America great again.

                                      http://BusinessFits.com

No comments:

Post a Comment